Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 2000 14:30:21 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        Jeremiah Gowdy <jgowdy@home.com>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on Netfinity 7100 SMP issue ...

On Fri, 3 Nov 2000, Jeremiah Gowdy wrote:

> > Just wondering if this should be telling me anything?  I'm working withthe
> > IBM folks right now on getting this rectified, but don't know if this
> > gives me more information to throw at them?
> >
> > Booting up latest -stable kernel, boot -v gives me:
> >
> > SMP: AP CPU #1 Launched!
> > SMP: CPU: apic_initialize():
> > lint0: 0x00010700 lint1: 0x00010400 TPR: 00000010 SVR: 000001ff
> > <hang here>
> >
> > Again, the machine itself doesn't appear to be hanging, as I can do a
> > ctl-alt-del to reboot, it shuts down CPU#0 and everything ...
> >
> > tomorrow morning, I'm going to hook a laptop up to the serial console and
> > do a full 'boot -v' and see if maybe that provides more info?
>
> Woah.  IBM Netfinity SMP has _always_ worked for me, but I don't have a
> model 7100.  What cpus are in the 7100 ?  What's the motherboard chipset ?

Dual Xeon 700s ... and how do I tell the motherboard chipset?

Exact model is the 86663RY, with full specs available at:

http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=1891186&cntrfnbr=1&prmenbr=1&cntry=124&lang=en_US&shoptype=D

If I have to reboot this machine to find out any info that I haven't
provided so far (see thread 'Dual CPU Xeon server hangs on SMP' that I
posted to -smp and -stable), I haven't got a problem with that ... just
tell me what I should be lookign for ...

Mike Smith sent me an email asking for a bit more infomation, to which his
response was (just so that ppl aren't running in several different directions
on this):

-------------

> Here you go ...

Ok.  This looks depressingly similar. 8(

> Bus:          Bus ID  Type
>                7       ISA
> I/O Ints:     Type    Polarity    Trigger     Bus ID   IRQ    APIC ID PIN#
>               INT      conforms    conforms        7     0         14    2

This is where we expect the timer interrupt...

>               ExtINT   conforms    conforms        7     0        255    0

But this is where we think it's ending up.  I'm not sure if we can steer
it back to the "Right Place"; the alternative means implementing Virtual
Wire mode, which we don't currently support.