Date:      Sat, 10 Jun 2000 19:27:15 +0200
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        troy@picus.com
Cc:        Love@fil.net, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: LAN detection?

> I know you probably have your reasons for wanting to do this, but I'm at
> a loss as to why you percieve it as an issue..
>
> A user is connected to your PM2-30, the fastest they're connecting is
> 33.6Kb/s.  What does it matter if they have 1 computer or 10 behind that
> connection?  They can't exceed the 33.6 limit imposed by the connection.

It's all about average bandwidth usage. An ISP sets the monthly fee
based, among other things, on an estimated bandwidth per client. If
you have 10 computers behind a 33.6 line, your average bandwidth usage
is going to be higher than with one computer. If enough users are doing
this, it's going to be clearly noticeable.

You can compare this with leased line customers - most leased line
contracts have a clause prohibiting resale of bandwidth. A leased line
customer who wants to resell bandwidth usually pays more for the same
nominal bandwidth.

That being said, I think it's a waste of time to try to detect users who
are doing this. Much simpler to bill them directly on bandwidth usage -
and as long as they know about it, they can't complain.