Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 10:18:14 +1030
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        Christoph Toshok <toshok@Hungry.COM>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Free netscape - good or bad ?

(Christoph, should I keep you cc'd, or are you on -hackers?)

> > I'm not sure I parse you here; you are suggesting that libnetscape.so
> > should be subject to LGPL-style conditions?
>
> No, quite the opposite.  I suggest that Netscape shouldn't be required
> to distribute under GPL or LGPL, even when they include changes they
> get from the rest of the world.

Hmm.  I'm not sure how I feel about that one.  On the one hand, it
would leave Netscape free to cull the best of the changes made.

On the other, would it imply that if I were to drop some of my hot new
technology into the Navigator and start offering it, I would also have
to give it, gratis, to Netscape?

I guess the answer depends on whether Netscape want to see lots of
Navigator-based offshoots hitting the market.

\\  end it's only with yourself.  \\