Date:      Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:06:22 GMT
From:      mike@sentex.net (Mike Tancsa)
To:        matthias@mteege.de (Matthias Teege)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ipfw and accounting

On 24 Sep 1999 10:34:52 -0400, in sentex.lists.freebsd.questions you wrote:

>Moin,
>
>I wish to count how many bytes I transfer over my isp0 device. So I
>setup two ipfw rules:

netstat -ni

will also give you this information.

>ipfw add 64080 count ip from any to any out via isp0
>ipfw add 64090 count ip from any to any in via isp0
>
>I open the interface for a short http connection and after i4b close
>the line i make a 'ipfw show'
>
>64080       1042      97442 count ip from any to any out xmit isp0
>64090        924     160482 count ip from any to any in recv isp0

From the man page,

     The ipfw code works by going through the rule-list for each packet
until a match is found.  All rules have two associated counters, a packet
count and a byte count.  These counters are updated when a packet matches
the rule.

So, if you have any rules before the above two, it will not be counted.
You might get what you need simply by looking at netstat -ni

	---Mike
Mike Tancsa  (mdtancsa@sentex.net)
Sentex Communications Corp,
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
"Given enough time, 100 monkeys on 100 routers
could setup a national IP network." (KDW2)