Date:      Tue, 1 Mar 2005 22:12:41 +0100
From:      Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: glabel - refuses to label >= g partitions

> If I do:
>
> glabel label somelabel /dev/ad1s1g
>
> geom_label labels /dev/ad1 instead of /dev/ad1s1g[1]. However
> labeling /dev/ad1s1{a,b,d,e,f} worked fine. But /dev/ad1s1{g,h}
> does not (and probably not the rest above h either).
>
> Any idea what to do about it?

The the purpose of the mailing list archive in case somebody else stumbles
across it:

I finally realized what the problem was. It had nothing to do with
partitions with names g and above. The issue is that the information
that geom_label looks for when tasting a device is stored in the last
block (or close to it - at the end of the device, I don't remember).
My last partition ended at exactly the last block of the device. Presumably
/dev/ad1 is tasted by geom_label before /dev/ad1s1{g,h,whatever}, which
means that geom_label will find the label on /dev/ad1...

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <peter.schuller@infidyne.com>'
Key retrieval: Send an E-Mail to getpgpkey@scode.org
E-Mail: peter.schuller@infidyne.com Web: http://www.scode.org