Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 02:32:44 +1000 (EST)
From:      Enno Davids <enno.davids@metva.com.au>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Chasing the kiddies (was: Named Keep crashing)

Kal Torak <kaltorak@quake.com.au> wrote:

| Companys that have personal data, should be fined if there security is breached
| through poor administration... You can make as many laws as you like against
| sniffing etc, but it wont slove anything!

In fact, if you don't have them now, you likely soon will have privacy laws.
If only so you can continue to do business in Europe. Your users/clients
likely expect you to keep their data private anyway and may seek redress
from you if you fail to.

And a special one, (my 'day job' is as a web systems admin at a large
Australian banking group) if you're in some industires there are real live
laws with teeth that require you to make strenuous effort to safeguard
peoples data. 'Fiduciary responsibilities' for banks.

And how much would you trust a bank that got hacked? Now argue by extension
how much trust you should extend to other sorts of business that are
compromised. Its clearly in their own interest to secure themselves and make
a best effort to stay secure. (How long were hackers wandering around inside
a large s/w developer in Redmond? How many credit card numbers have been
stolen from a large nameless online bookseller?)

| Infact I dont even see how anyone could call network scanning a crime...
| Its just like knocking on someones door to see if they are home, are we
| going to make that a crime as well?

Once again, in banking, if you come knockng on my door, the Australian
Federal Police will take an interest in you. Something to do with making sure
you don't screw up the entire economy. Its no more OK to do it to anyone
else, just that governments have less self-interest in protecting the rest
of the community.

Enno.