Date:      Thu, 20 Feb 2003 14:20:48 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        Achilleus Mantzios <achill@matrix.gatewaynet.com>
Cc:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: jdk1.4.1-p2 hang

On (2003/02/20 14:12), Achilleus Mantzios wrote:

> > I guess I just got a little over-excited about the results I'm getting
> > with JBoss.
>
> Until recently i have been running jboss 3.0.3 on a 4.7 system with native
> jdk 1.3.1 and OpenJIT.
>
> Whats your setup?

First, let me say that the results I'm excited about are that JBoss and
Jetty start up without dumping core, and that I can't make Jetty fall
over (well, not before my 5.0-CURRENT box panics in msleep() due to lock
contention with vm_pageout_scan() on the process lock).

I'm not saying it's fast, and I didn't expect it to be, because I have
all the debugging knobs enabled in the kernel (witness and friends).
However, I see that the native jdk-1.3.1_p8 VM w/ Hotspot and native
threads handles my simple test case of instantiating 10,000 relatively
simple objects from strings taken off stdin is 3 times faster than the
-classic VM.

Looking at the benchmarks on shudo.net [1], it seems like ShuJIT is
_significantly_ inferior to Hotspot.

But I'm really keen to start lurking now -- I know how annoying it is
when clueless newcomers make a lot of noise on their first day.

Ciao,
Sheldon.

[1] http://www.shudo.net/jit/perf/index.html