Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:19:32 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        Ian Morriati <ian@bosh.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 3com Homeconnect USB Camera

On February 21, 2001, Ian Morriati sent me the following:
> i'm running 4.1-RELEASE on my main workstation here, and would like to
> use the 3com Homeconnect USB camera. i think it's detected on bootup;
> here's the usb section:
>
> ugen0: 3Com 3Com HomeConnect USB Camera , rev 1.00/1.06, addr 2
>
> 1. is it working and configured? or is it just reading the label? my
>    usb mouse is working fine, which is why i suspect it works. but i
>    don't know. so here i ask you; how can i tell, and do you think it
>    does?

Yes and no. Yes it's working, but there isn't a specific driver for
it, so it fell through to ugen. Basically, this means that if there is
some userland utility for talking to the camera via ugen, then it
should work.

You may want to take a look at http://members.home.net/housel/projects.htm
which has some kernel patches to make OV511 based USB cameras work
under FreeBSD, and a utility for grabbing images from them. It doesn't
work on OHCI controllers unfortunatly, but you have a UHCI controller,
so your okay there. (Note however that your camera isn't listed, so it
may not be OV511 based.)

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a19>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--