Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2001 20:11:57 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@sneakerz.org>, Stuart Eichert <seichert@coopcomp.com>, net@FreeBSD.ORG, oppermann@monzoon.net
Subject:   Re: Am I missing something?

On Wed, 27 Jun 2001, Brooks Davis wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 06:55:45PM -0500, Alfred Perlstein wrote:
> > Actually if you use netgraph this is all already done.  You can
> > see the netgraph callbacks in bother ether_input and ether_output,
> > just use those and you should be fine.  I'm not terribly familiar
> > with netgraph, however i've heard it's trivial to use a subset of
> > the facilities, meaning using netgraph to provide your hooks should
> > be simple and not require you to learn an aweful lot about netgraph
> > versus just getting your stuff working.
> >
> > All you need to do is add your handler to the ng_ether_input_p
> > and ng_ether_input_orphan_p callchains and you should be fine.
>
> For adding a new protocol, you can currently use the orphan's interface
> if you don't need any other protocols.  Work needs to be done to allow
> tapping of specific protocols via the ng_ether_input interface.  I was
> thing about doing it, but the project I was going to do it for took a
> different direction.  If you want to support adding new ethernet
> protocols, this is definatly the way to go.  This is also more or less
> necessicary to build a fully netgraph implementation of IP or similar
> protocols[0].

I have a netgraph node written (but not yet released by the company that
asked me to write it) that when hooked to the 'orphans' hook of an
ethernet node, can filter out arbitrary Ethertypes and send them to
arbitrary hooks, so, by hooking this node to the ethernet node,
you can arbitrarily process as many or as few additional ethertypes as you
need to.

in the meanwhile, before it is released, you can prototype by hooking
directly to the orphans hoon of the ethernet node in netgraph.