Date:      Sun, 27 Jan 2002 15:14:10 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Norm <nrichard47@telus.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installing FreeBSD along with Windows XP

Norm wrote:

> Dear Sir:
>

> I have a new P4 1.8GHz with 512 MB RDRAM and 60GB HDD which I have split
> int two drives (C,D).  I plan on using Drive C for Windows XP and Drive
> D for FreeBSD.

It doesn't work this way. You are thinking in DOS terms. You have two
slices (partitions in DOS terms) and they are on the same drive. You
can't install FreeBSD into an extended partition.

> 1) Can you tell me whether it is better to use NTFS file formatting or
> FAT32 for either or both drives? Pros and cons of using either file systems?

You can't write to an NTFS from FreeBSD. You might be better off with
a small FAT32 partition (2GB or so) and then install XP after that and
FreeBSD after that. You can have 4 primary partitions(slices in
FreeBSD). You can also have 4 primary partitions in XP. FreeBSD can
have its primary and write to the FAT32. XP can run in NTFS and be
happy there. You can share files via the FAT32. I happen to like the
ntldr because I play with XP more than I play with clean FreeBSD
installs and I just copy /boot/boot1 onto my c-drive and add it to
boot.ini.

> 2) I believe XP has MBR capability! (for multiple boot systems)  If that
> is so, can it be used successfully with FreeBSD and how is it activated?

??? Every drive has an MBR on it. I don't understand your question.

> 3) From reading the material on your site, I understand that I can
> create my own bootable CD ROM, I tried with the BSD 4.4 folder but all I
> got was a copy of the files.  Is it the ISO 4.4 image file (Disc 1 &
> 2) that will create the CD Boot Disks?

The release iso's are bootable.

> 4)  Do I need to format the drive D before installing FreeBSD?

It will be in the wrong format and you will have to undo it.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA