Date:      26 Feb 2002 12:48:30 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for handbook/eresources.html#ERESOURCES-MAIL

1) I've seen a couple of questions about how to get a new mailing list
created. (And another suggestion that I get one started for the
discussion of proposed PRs, which I think would get read too little.)

I suggest that a "C.1.4 List Creation" section be added to
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html
but I don't know what to put in there.  Maybe "Contact postmaster"?

2) The above web page should have the list charter for freebsd-www; the
description under "Limited lists" ("Maintainers of www.FreeBSD.org") is
rather unhelpful.  I thought that's what -doc was for.

3) Three occurances of (non-) "FreeBSD related" should have the space
replaced with an hyphen. (There is already one "FreeBSD-related".)

4) Since mailing addresses like "doc@freebsd.org" are permitted, it
would be helpful to have that stated on the page.  I'm not sure if it's
true for only a few lists or for all which start with "freebsd-".

P.S. I found the discussion of "Limited lists" a bit nebulous, like
maybe it was trying to not be open about some things.  Is subscription
screened?  Is it really about "audiences" and "interest" (many of the
technical lists should then qualify) or really about limiting discussion
to important contributors (quite reasonably, eg, to keep "noise" down)?
Are they segregated just because they refuse to publish guidelines?  Why
is -install not under "Technical lists"?

It might be better to just have Technical and Non-Technical lists and
let the lists describe themselves and their desires/requirements for
subscribers in their charters.