Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 12:57:45 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is my new kernel so big?

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 03:48:36AM +0100, Christian Weisgerber wrote:
> Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU> wrote:
>
> > # /usr/sbin/config -g FREEBIE
> >
> > Mike, take a look at the paragraphs following that line.  They explain
> > why Greg thinks you should use -g.  If you want to save that space,
> > leave out the -g.
>
> Notice that "make install" will install a stripped kernel, i.e.
> one without all the debugging symbols added by "-g". If you ever

Err, are you sure? This is a debug kernel, installed by ``make install''

# ls -l /kernel
-r-xr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8303201 Feb 24 19:46 /kernel
# file /kernel
/kernel: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD), dynamically linked, not stripped
marder-1#

IIRC what happens is that the debugging symbols are not loaded into
memory when the kernel boots so, although the filesize is much
greater, there is no memory penalty when running a debug kernel.

> need to debug it, the symbols can be fetched from /sys/compile/HOST/kernel.
>
> In short, there's no size penalty for the installed kernel if you
> configure it with "-g". I do this for all my kernels I build.
>
> --
> Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                  naddy@mips.rhein-neckar.de

	Linux:     Where do you want to go tomorrow?
	BSD:       Are you guys coming, or what?
			              -Poster at LinuxWorld 2000