Date:      Sat, 13 Nov 1999 13:44:59 +0100
From:      Alexander Langer <alex@cichlids.com>
To:        bunny <bunny@super.net.pk>
Cc:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: HOW TO CHANGE THE DATE IN UNIX

Thus spake bunny (bunny@super.net.pk):

> I know this is the help site for FreeBSD. Please if you could just tell me on how to change the date in UNIX machine . I have tried all the methods. There is something which i am not doing right. If some one could help me I would really appreciate it.
> Please give me an evample of Jan 13, 2000

read date(1)!

There is:

SYNOPSIS
     date [-jnu] [-d dst] [-r seconds] [-t minutes_west]
	 [-v[+|-]val[ymwdHMS]]
     ... [-f fmt date | [[[[yy]mm]dd]HH]MM[.ss]] [+format]

to set the date, use

000113HHMM.SS

Where HHMM.SS is the time (hour, minutes, seconds)

POSIX (I believe) sets the years "00-38" to be 2000-2038 and the years
"70-99" to be 1970-1999.

39-69 are unspecified.

BTW: We don't have Jan 13, 2000 now.
If you want to set the current time, you might want to check out
"ntpdate", which is in the ports.

Alex
--
I doubt, therefore I might be.