Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 14:48:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb>
To:        shimon@simon-shapiro.org
Cc:        molter@logic.it, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

Simon Shapiro wrote:

> Thanx.  I think sendmail is worth studying.  Itis typical Unix thing.  The
> original set of goals was never fully studied (the let's hack code first.
> Ask why later).  The design happened along the way (efficiency, security,
> scalability, and lack thereof).  To add insult to injury, the configuration
> ``language'' was optimized for the machine, not for the human, totally
> missing the purpose of computers and sooftware (to serve us mortals).

	that's not really fair.   sendmail was created under
	conditions very different from our own.  considering
	the change that its seen, it holds up very well.

	please remember that in 1981 a vax 11/750 with rk-07
	disk drives and 512MB of memory was a BIG deal and
	significant cost.  wasnt 1 SpecInt originally supposed to
	approximate a single vax (dont pick nits ;)

	the box that i am using now overpowers that vax.
jmb