Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:59:03 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Don Munyak <don.munyak@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: rebuild any statically linked ports

On Sep 15, 2006, at 12:50 PM, Don Munyak wrote:
> A message states" Don't forget to rebuild any statically linked ports
> to use the updated libraries after you install them."
>
> what does this mean and how do I [ac]complish rebuilding statically
> linked ports?

Most software is dynamicly linked, and will therefore load the
updated versions of the system libraries without needing any work on
your part.  Statically linked programs are rather uncommon nowadays,
but can be identified via the "file" command:

% file /sbin/init
/sbin/init: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1
(FreeBSD), for FreeBSD 5.4-CURRENT (rev 5), statically linked, stripped
% file /bin/sh
/bin/sh: ELF 32-bit LSB executable, Intel 80386, version 1 (FreeBSD),
for FreeBSD 5.4-CURRENT (rev 5), dynamically linked (uses shared
libs), stripped

If any of the ports you have installed is statically linked, you can
rebuild it via a "portupgrade -af _portname_" or a "make deinstall &&
make reinstall" in that ports' directory.

--
-Chuck