Date:      Thu, 5 Apr 2001 21:02:58 +0100
From:      Mark Drayton <mark.drayton@4thwave.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adding scripts to periodic?

Dwalin (dwalin@haldjas.folklore.ee) wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Apr 2001, Mark Drayton wrote:
> > Daniel Mester (DanielM@EverAd.com) wrote:
> > > What the steps should i take to add my own scripts to run with
> > > "periodic"?  I would like to run some scripts weekly - but i
> > > cannot realize where to start. I know i can use 'crontab' this
> > > way.
> >
> > You need to make the directory /usr/local/etc/periodic/weekly. Put
> > your scripts in there (making sure they are executable) and they'll
> > be run once a week. See periodic(8) and periodic.conf(5) for more
> > info.
>
> I read from the /etc/defaults/periodic.conf, that # 999.local
> weekly_local="/etc/weekly.local"                        # Local
> scripts

From man periodic:

	 If an argument is an absolute directory name it is used as is,
	 otherwise it is searched for under /etc/periodic and any other
	 directories specified by the local_periodic setting in
	 periodic.conf(5) (see below).

/etc/defaults/periodic.conf contains:

# periodic script dirs
local_periodic="/usr/local/etc/periodic /usr/X11R6/etc/periodic"

Periodic is called by 'periodic <directory>'. Periodic run scripts in
the specified directory, which itself must be in /etc/periodic or
$local_periodic.

I'm not familiar with /etc/weekly.local.

HTH,

--

Mark Drayton