Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 13:49:33 +0100
From:      Volker Paepcke <pae@iis.fhg.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.ORG
Subject:   diskless client panics: root dev has no bdevsw

Hi!

Over a year ago I tried a diskless setup under FreeBSD-Current.
Due to much trouble with swapping over nfs I gave up soon. Now I've some
messages on the lists concerning these problems and how to solve them.
But now I have a complete different problem: mounting the root partition.=

I only get the message "panic: root dev has no bdevsw" after the
probe messages from the hardware.

The handbook contains no information about setting up the kernel config
for the client. I remember a DISKLESS option, but this seems not to exist=
 =

anymore.

Here are some more informations about my configuration:

I'm running FreeBSD-Current (last update was Oct 31.).

server name: ep151.iis
client name: ep107.iis

The client (ep107) has a 3C509 Ethernet-Card (port 0x300, int 10)
so I'm using the nb3c509.com under DOS for booting.

Kernel configuration (allmost GENERIC with a few hardware settings):
config          kernel  root on wd0 =

/etc/bootptab:
ep107.iis:\
        :ht=3Dether:\
        :ha=3D00a0240e216d:\
        :sm=3D255.0.0.0:\
        :hn:\
        :ds=3D153.96.172.2:\
        :ip=3D77.2.16.107:\
        :gw=3D77.5.7.1:\
        :vm=3Drfc1048:

/etc/exports:
/export/us1     -alldirs -maproot=3D0:0 ep107

/etc/fstab (on the client):
ep151:/export/us1/clients/ep107/rootfs  /       nfs     rw              0=
 0
ep151:/export/us1/clients/ep107/swapfs  none    nfs     sw              0=
 0
proc                    /proc                   procfs  rw              0=
 0

Any ideas? or could someone please post me his working config-files?

Thanks in advance,

Volker --- pae@iis.fhg.de (scratchy@vulcan.franken.de at home)