Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 1996 02:27:58 +0930 (CST)
From:      Peter Childs <pjchilds@imforei.apana.org.au>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Win95 PPP with mgetty :)

 Gday.

  I'm not sure if it was here or in another freebsd-list (in
  relation to bug/1019) but the discussion was about getting
  FreeBSD getty's to autodetect PPP and run the appropriate
  stuff...

  Well I though that was a great idea, because then the Win95
  guys don't even have to have scripting then...

  We use mgetty here.. so I checked the latest mgetty beta
  099-may31 and you compile that with -DAUTO_PPP and that works
  swell...

  The user level ppp needed some real hacking... I ended up
  hacking another version just for auto_ppp stuff...  instead
  of using the ppp.secret file (what a _interesting_ idea) it uses
  the password file...  which sort'a means that anyone with
  a valid login can login... but its easy to restrict to
  certains groups.. or even to authenticate from a mSQL database!

  Anyway... just to let you all know... anything is possible with
  FreeBSD... (although getting the username logged out of
  the utmp? file when ppp_n_pap exits hasn't happened yet :{ )

  Also, be warned the -stable user ppp code is screwed in os.c
  for more than 10 tunnel devices...  i guess thats life...

  FreeBSD on!

 Regards,
   Peter

--
 Peter Childs  ---  http://www.imforei.apana.org.au/~pjchilds
  The internet is full, please try again in half an hour...