Date:      Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:49:49 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, Warner Losh <imp@harmony.village.org>
Cc:        bmah@FreeBSD.ORG, devet@devet.org (Arjan de Vet), stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Has the size of stable /modules increased a lot lately?

At 2:28 PM -0800 11/19/01, Bruce A. Mah wrote:
>OK.
>
>Does someone want to give me some text?  I sat down to write this
>and realized I didn't understand the issue enough (like does this
>only affect debugging symbols or are there implications with other
>options too?).  Better, can someone point me to the right file(s)
>and revision number(s)?

The file which changed was:
     src/sys/conf/Makefile.i386

For the RELENG_4 branch, the significant commit was:
     1.179.2.6  done on Thu Oct 18th.

The comments for the commit include "which adds the ability to
compile modules -g as well" (among other things).  The original
commit to current (1.241 on Aug 2nd) was a bit more explicit as
to the effect:  "When building a debugging kernel with modules,
build modules with debugging support as well".  It isn't just
that "the ability" is now available, it's that anyone who has
debugging set for the /kernel *will* also get it for /modules.

I believe this means that anyone who has been compiling their
kernel with 'makeoptions     DEBUG=-g' (to get symbol info in
the /kernel) will, after this change, find that their next
installkernel will see the /modules directory grow in size from
about 5meg to about 20meg.  Depending on how much spare disk
space they had in '/', this may cause the install-kernel step
to fail as it runs out of disk space.  This is particularly true
if they have softupdates on '/', as the system may *think* '/'
is out of disk space because it has not caught up with various
'rm'ed files by the time the new files are being copied into place.

That's probably not the wording you'd want to use in the release
notes, but it kinda explains what is going on.  The change does
make sense in that someone who is debugging the kernel will probably
want debugging info in the modules as well, it just has this minor
side-effect that /modules becomes significantly larger in size,
even though the user "hasn't changed anything" in their config.

[well, they *did* change to add DEBUG=-g, because that is not the
default setting for -stable.  But they may have done that months
ago, and it's not until this commit that /modules will jump in size]