Date:      Sun, 07 May 1995 23:07:37 -0700
From:      Steven Wallace <swallace@balboa.eng.uci.edu>
To:        davidg@freefall.cdrom.com
Cc:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   freeze up

I just had one of my freeze up agains and something different happened
this time....

One difference is that I have been using an older kernel that worked
fine for me b4 my probs - April 22nd kernel.  My problems started
after I upgraded my system from a 2.0R binaries using a 2.1-Devel kernel
to the last 2.1 SNAPshot release (end of april I think).  So my
suspisions have been that new some binary (cc) or library has been
showing probs with the kernel not seen before.

For the past two weeks my computer has frozen about every two days
usually after trying to compile something with cc (once it happened
on a man command).  Today with my older kernel I had just d/l some new
source and was compiling it with cc.  When the makefile started the
first cc, nothing happened.  In addition, ALL commands I typed
in my other X shells would freeze, until I hit control-C in the xterm
that was running cc.  This happened repeatedly three times.  Then
I made a msitake of putting the compile in the background and not
being able to send ^C signal to it.  Even kill commands would freeze.
Then I moved my mouse down to the next virtual desktop.  It started
redrawing the new screen then froze w/o being able to do anything.

So I found this experience very odd because existing processes continued
to run fine until they ran into something that blocked them from continuing
anymore while new commands (ls, kill, ps I tried) would freeze right
away - until I terminated this cc process.  Any ideas on what this could
be?  What should I do if I experience this freeze with a partial lock-up?

Thanks, Steven