Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:11:40 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan Sm?rgrav)
Cc:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no
Subject:   Re: IPv6

> Also, much of /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin and /usr/sbin will break when IPv6
> finally hits the street, because of assumptions such as IP addresses
> being four bytes long, etc. Making this software indifferent to the
> particular IP version they run on would give FreeBSD a serious
> advantage on "the day when the Internet switches to IPv6".
>
> Remember that very soon, IPv6 will no longer be science-fiction or
> just a nifty toy, but a necessity. We are this >< close to exhausting
> the current 32-bit address space...

Is there a seperate address family for this?

I have some experimental stuff I never followed up on (it would
require being able to use dlopen() in a statically linked binary,
which you couldn't do at the time) to unify the address family
management functions.  My plan was to get the XNS and ISO and X.25
code back from Limbo with it.

It seems to me that the same code could take care of your problem;
if you could look something up without resorting to naming the
family you are looking up, then all of these things would be
transparent.  As usual, I got busy digging the moat instead of
building the castle ;-), and went of on a tanget trying to get
a netbios address family wedged into the kernel so Id have
something to test with (the XNS/X.25/ISO stuff needs to be
brought up to date as a matter of principle, not because I
actually have any hardware that can use it 8-)).

Basically, it takes the resolver library and loads shared objects
based on address family space in which you are looking.  Novell did
something very similar for the port of the Portable NetWare (later
NetWare for UNIX) code to the NeXT machines.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.