Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:41:39 +0100
From:      "Roger 'Rocky' Vetterberg" <listsub@rambo.simx.org>
To:        Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: multiple defaultrouter

Edwin Groothuis wrote:

>On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:41:12PM +0000, Chip Wiegand wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 3 Mar 2002 19:46:11 -0800
>>"Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net> wrote:

This is a issue I have investigated for a long time, but so far I have
not been able to find a solution.
I have 2 different machines with individual internet access. Both
machines run nat and are fully capable of functioning as gateways.
By default, the machine called 192.168.0.3 handles all internet bound
traffic, *but* 192.168.0.10 is fully capable of doing exactly what the
0.3 machine does.
In the win2k based workstation, I can add 2 default routes, and specify
a metric for each route.
As of now, all workstations has 192.168.0.3 with metric 1 and
192.168.0.10 with metric 10.
If a win2k is unable to reach a host through 192.168.0.3, or is unable
to reach 192.168.0.3 itself, it will try 192.168.0.10 instead. This is
very usefull, since I can reboot any of the two gateway machines at any
given time, without breaking internet connectivity for the workstations.
Of course, all open connections, such as big file transfers over ftp,
irc or similar will be killed and restarted in the event of a "gateway
switch". However, it takes nomore then a few seconds for the win2k's to
switch to the other gateway and be online again. Since most of the users
here only use internet for http and mail, they have never even noticed
when a gateway goes down.
If 192.168.0.3 has been dead or unreachable, and then comes back up, the
win2k will go back to using 192.168.0.3 as default gateway. I have not
investigated how often the win2k's check if a "dead" gateway is back up,
they may do it every time they try to connect, but it doesnt seem to add
any noticable delay in network traffic.

I would love to see this in FreeBSD as well. As someone stated earlier
in this thread, the 'route' command does not allow you to add two routes
with the default keyword.
In my case, I would like to see something like this doable:
route add default metric 1 192.168.0.3
route add default metric 10 192.168.0.10

Any ideas how this could be accomplished?