Date:      Tue, 12 Mar 96 18:20:15 MET
From:      Greg Lehey <lehey.pad@sni.de>
To:        rashid@rk.ios.com (Rashid Karimov)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (Hackers; FreeBSD)
Subject:   Re: SCO bin.compat. - slight problem.

> 	I have this problem with running my favorite
> 	binary from SCO , which is cscope , under FreeBSD.
> 	The thing is source code browser,which I have been
> 	using for a few years already. I find it _very useful
> 	when 1 want's to take a dive into source code,especially
> 	big chunk of it written by some1 else.

Well, I've seen your followup message, but I thought you might be
interested in an alternative.  I'm working here at SNI, and of course
they use cscope, but I have so far found it to be of only limited use:
for one thing, it's too slow.  You might like to compare Emacs etags.
You create a tags file, rather like cscope.out, typically by entering

$ cd /usr/src/sys
$ find . -name "*.[csh]" | xargs etags -a

Within emacs, you use the find-tag command, (typically bound to M-.)
to search a tag.  By default, it will look for a name where the cursor
is, so if you just place your cursor on a function name and press
M-. Emacs will open the file with the first occurrence of the name and
position the cursor on the definition.  About the only problem I have
is that it doesn't handle data definitions.  If somebody knows how to
do that too, I'll be grateful.

Greg