Date:      Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:20:51 +0000
From:      Angus MacGyver <macgyver@calibre-solutions.co.uk>
To:        Dave <friend@vortex4.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 5.3 FTP install

Yeah,
I have already done that once, and to be fair, it was not too bad a job.

Trouble is, it defies the whole point of the ready built packages, and I
would not mind so much if it was only cvsup-without-gui package that
failed...
It's ANY package I try to install via this method.

If I have to pull down the entire ports tree, just to get a package
installed because of dependencies, then this also defies the point of
cvsup'ing only the ports trees that are needed in a working system.

It also somewhat lengthens the time required to get a working system,
not so good if one has to do a rebuild for some reason or another.

I come from a "less is more" perspective, whereby you only install the
programs/packages that are needed, any extra are possible security
troubles, and having to go back cleaning up a bunch of dependencies that
were required to build a program just to update the system seems like a
lot of unwanted work.

What also worries me is that if this problem has been known about for a
while, why hasn't it been put as a bug in the FreeBSd tracking and been
fixed.
(or if it has, i can't find it, so can someone in the know point me in
the direction of the patch or bug number if it has been posted)

To pull down the list of available packages from an FTP site is a
relatively trivial problem, and as such would be relatively trivial to
fix, so why hasn't it been ???

It doesn't matter which site i try it from, granted i am not about to
try the hundreds of mirror sites, but I have tried the master site,
which if anything should work, and all the UK sites, none do...

SO..
If anyone knows a workaround to this, other than pulling down the entire
ports collection, unzipping it, making the package, then cleaning up
afterwards, I'd be very very grateful.

Regards

AM