Date:      Mon, 8 Mar 1999 13:11:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm missing something on vinum

On Friday,  5 March 1999 at 16:40:46 -0800, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> I've gone through the archives, and the only other person that has had
> this problem was using raw disks (/etc/da1, etc).

I'm not sure what you mean by this.  /dev/da1 and so on are cooked
disks (block devices), not raw disks.  Vinum requires the block
device.  The system, not vinum, has pretty strict requirements in this
regard.

> Basically, I'm using vinum on 3.1-RELEASE, with a 4GB boot drive and 3 9GB
> data drives, using vinum to stripe the three drives, and I can make
> everything work, except that when I reboot (or even before I reboot,
> actually), a
>
> vinum read /dev/da1s1e /dev/da2s1e /dev/da3s1e
>
> does nothing, with a kernel message "vinum: no drives found" message
> printed out.

As Bruce Mah pointed out, you should reference the slice, not the
partition.

> I noticed in the man pages that the examples use dedicated disk mode, is
> that actually a requirement?

Again, I'm not sure what you mean.  Do you mean compatibility slices
(/dev/da1 instead of /dev/da1s1)?  No, there's no such requirement.

Greg