Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 15:22:56 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        greg <slay@slough-feg.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dummynet & ports

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, greg wrote:

> I have dummynet working fine for controlling bandwidth.
>
> My question is can i control bandwidth on certain ports ie, ftp?

Yes you can. with http you say 'ipfw add pipe 1 tcp from any 80 to <dest>'
and the configure the pipe.
With FTP it is a bit more complicated, because of the way FTP work.
You need to add a rule for active mode FTP and another for passive mode.
with active mode it's easy, just replace 80 with 20 in the example and
you are done. With passive it is not that easy because the server uses
an ephemeral port, and the range for that ephemeral port depends on things
like operating system, ftp server and the like.

Ftp is bad, mmmmkay? ftp is brain damaged, mmmkay? :)

Learnin how to set up FTP (both incoming and outgoing) through a firewall,
without opening it too much is one of the passage rites for the serious
firewall sysadmin.

			Fer