Date:      Sun, 7 Sep 1997 22:20:32 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: conf/4461: IOMega Zip disk entry for disktab

> As cschuber@uumail.gov.bc.ca wrote:
>
> > 	Please add the following to the distribution disktab.
> >
> > 	zip|IOMEGA zip 100:\
> >         	:dt=SCSI:ty=removable:se#512:nt#64:ns#32:nc#96:\
> >         	:pa#196576:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:ta=4.2BSD:\
> >         	:pc#196576:oc#0:
>
> What's wrong with ``disklabel -Brw sdX auto''?  I figure it should

1. `auto' shouldn't exist.  Use
   `disklabel /dev/rsdX >foo; $EDITOR foo; disklabel -BrR sdX foo'
   instead.
2. It has the same problems as the committed disktab entry:
a) it only works for "Dangerously Dedicated" disks.  Note that the
   above label is not for a DD disk; it is (*) for a disk with the standard
   zip fake geometry and slicing (32 fake sectors/track and one slice
   starting at offset 32).
b) it doesn't initialize all the fields.  The committed disktab entry is
   missing mainly :dt=SCSI: (this is important for booting).  The whole-
   disk/auto label should have the disk type (SCSI, etc) and type name.

(*) Except it is too large.  It doesn't specify #su, so it gives a size
of nt*ns*nc = 196608, which is 32 larger than the size of the C partition
and shouldn't work on the standard zip slice.  It actually does work due
to compatibility cruft and/or bugs.

$EDITOR before is just as easy and actually works (after you change the
size of the C partition to the slice size) for non-DD disks.

Bruce