Date:      Thu, 05 Jul 2001 09:01:20 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        ftrk <ftrk@uaf.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: which *BSD to choose?

> Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2001 22:28:24 -0800
> From: ftrk <ftrk@uaf.edu>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>
> I haven't used *BSD at all, but been using UNIX(Solaris) and LINUX
> for awhile.  However I have recently been reading lot about the
> *BSD's and even downloaded Kevin Lai's paper from USENIX about the
> comparison of SOLARIS, LINUX and FreeBSD. I would like to play with
> it on my laptop which is kinda old, but I was wondering about
> drivers for display chipsets etc:
> Intel PIII Processor
Most any x86 family chip or the AMD chips will work fine. Cyrix chips
work, but seem to have a lot of problems and I would suggest you avoid
them.
> ATi Rage 128 display chipset(14" SXGA display)
This works fine with XFree86 V4 (All BSDs and Linux use the common
XFree86 for X windows support.) But the FreeBSD install procedure will
install XFree86 V3.3.6 which does not support this, so skip the X
windows installation section and install the XFree86 package under
that portion of the installation procedure. Also install the user
environment (Gnome, KDE or none) and window manager of your choice.
> Xircom 10/100 cardbus PCMCIA card
Bad news. FreeBSD V4 does not support CardBus PCcards. These cards are
supported in the development version of FreeBSD and will be supported
in V5.0 which may be out late this year. The maintainer is working on
back-porting the support to V4, but there are no promises as to
when/if this will be completed.

If you need immediate support for this card, you might look at
NetBSD. I'm pretty sure that it is supported there.

> Internal Lucent Gold v50 modem( I am sure this wouldn't be supported:( )
Not officially supported at this time, although inclusion of the
required software is being worked on and I expect it to show up fairly
soon.

If you check out the archives of questions, you will find a pointer to
the FreeBSD code and I have seen several people report that it works,
but this is not "official" support.

> I would definitely like to use and support FreeBSD. However I am
> unable to make up my mind as to which one will suit me and an
> assessment of the three flavours. Would you have any pointers as to
> where I can find some info? I am currently running a dualboot, with
> winme(only because the internal modem is not supported:(and I can't
> afford a external modem card right now ) and linux(redhat 7 which I
> don't wanna use anymore since I have found things which I don't like
> in it anymore). I am also interested in knowing the packages, like
> compilers(like gcc, g77, perl) etc. Also does this come with any
> crypto software? Pardon my ignorance, I tried to look around, but
> couldn't find info on compilers etc..

See http://www.freebsd.org for a great deal of
information. Especially, see the Handbook. Certainly gcc, g77 and Perl
are part of FreeBSD. FreeBSD has a huge number of external tools,
utilities, and games available in the "ports". This is the thing that
makes FreeBSD stand out from the crowd. For any of the thousands of
ports, installation is usually as easy as a cd to the port directory
followed by 'make install'.

FreeBSD is currently based on gcc 2.95.3. gcc v3.0 should be added to
the ports tree soon.

FreeBSD includes OpenSSL and OpenSSH in the base system. Many other
crypto tools are also available.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)