Date:      Fri, 25 May 2001 20:39:55 -0400
From:      "Name" <pyriformus@hotmail.com>
To:        <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org>

hello

my name is william mccartin and i have at long last successfully installed
free bsd onto my desktop computer for the very first time and i figure i
might have perhaps a few valuable tidbits of information on how your online
manual did and did not help me through my installation process

i purchased the freebsd powerpak from compusa last summer (roughly may 2000)
and after several unsuccessful attempts i gave up and returned to windows
with my tail between my legs

i left my freebsd package untouched for the rest of the summer and the
following school year and i have just returned to it this past week and
battled with it for the past five days

this time i had a new computer to install to so my actuall desktop could
remain usable and untouched while intalling leaving me the ability to
consult the internet while installing (an option i did not have last year)

for the past week i sifted through the fbsd manual that came with the
package along with page after page of online information and came up with
nothing that would solve my problem

i moved back and forth in and out of every possible suggestion that seemed
plausible from hardware to software solutions

nothing worked

i was enraged and half prepared to launch the uncooperative piece of shit
out the window

nevertheless i plodded on and refused to allow this thing beat me

i tried every local installation method i could stomach save installing from
floppies and was half prepared to attempt installing via ftp (floppies would
have been faster being that i'm connecting through dial up at 28.8 but would
have required more effort on my part)

finally at long last i unraveled the mystery at the core of my difficulties

it was perhaps the most ridiculously simple solution and time and again i
had missed it and i have no clue why this simple little oversight never
occured to me

here's what it ended up being:

on my final attempt to try to install i tried performing a custom
installation rather than a standard one being that i had yet to try that
option and i finally narrowed down my problem to the commit point because
every time i installed i was getting no activity from the cd-rom drive

i eventually came to the realization that the entire time i was trying to
install freebsd that i had never selected a single item to install by
checking it off with the space bar

good god i wanted to jump out a window

all that misery and anger and frustration over perhaps the simplest error to
be imagined

i couldn't believe it

no

i couldn't be that stupid

siezed by that sort of involuntary nervous/maniacle laughter i decided to
explore this newfound possibility with the mentality of a castaway who had
sat stranded on a desert island for ten long years only to realize that
there was a tropical resort and hotel just on the other side of the island

after checking of all the items i wanted to install i selected "okay" on my
"last chance" warning and hit enter

sure enough this was the solution i had desperately been seeking over the
past week

elated i jumped up and down galloping through my house shrieking with joy

finally i had been liberated from this horrible tyrrant who had been
refusing to install

finally the chains that had bound me to my computer refusing to releaseme
until i had completed my objective had loosened freeing me from my prison

and so now here i sit writing you this letter

please PLEASE

in your online documentation make mention of the fact that you have to
select the items to be installed with the SPACE BAR and not the enter key

please make a note of it in huge 72 point capital letters

because undoubtedly you save at least one other idiot out there besides
myself

after rexamining the intall process i had realized how i had made such a
simple yet unforgiving error because having been a student of interactive
media for the past two year i had realized that throughout the entire
process there were no error messages appraising me of the fact that i had
not selected anything to intall so
in turn the program wouldn't be intalling anything for me

all i ever got was on single error message at the very end which read as
follows:

"installation completed with some errors.  you may wish to scroll through
the debugging messages on VTY1 with the scroll lock feature.  you can also
choose "no" on the next prompt and go back to the installation menus to try
and retry whichever operations have failed."

this message was nearly meaningless to me

it meant nothing to me except that i had not been entirely successful in
installing the program which was already obvious to me

well at any rate thanks for the help you did give

hopefully this information will be of some help