Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 13:28:55 +0000
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "A. Rakukin" <rakukin@mail.ru>
Cc:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "Matthew Dillon" <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org, brian@hak.lan.awfulhak.org
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: X authorization

> > >     Your assumptions as to 'xhost' are correct.  Just setting DISPLAY on
> > >     machine B to point to machine A will not give machine B access to
> > >     machine A's X display.  Machine A must give machine B access, typically
> > >     through the 'xhost' command.
> >
> > I wouldn't say ``typically''.  Using xhost is bad as it gives anybody
> > on the given host access to your display.  Xauth is the correct way
> > to do it.  It stuffs an authentication key in the .Xauthority file
> > allowing access only to people with access to the .Xauthority file.
> > Check the xauth man page for the magic incantation.
>
> I know that xhost is insecure. But it worked earlier!
> And now I have a situation as follows: I merely start X (via xdm) on host A,
> no windows/commands there, then go to host B,
> type `export DISPLAY=A:0; xterm' and see xterm window
> opened on the display of A! Then test `xhost' on A and see no hosts allowed...
>
> I think something has been changed in the configuration casually,
> and would be grateful for any advice what might it be.
> I loked through Xsessions etc, but have not found anything,
> unfortunately...

Well, if the person executing the X program (on B) either has a
correct .Xauthority or a xhost permit, they're allowed display.  If
they haven't got xhost authority, I would think their .Xauthority
must be valid.

[.....]
> In any case, I would like to forbid unauthorized access at first!

This should be the default (and is for me).

[.....]

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@[uk.]FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@[uk.]OpenBSD.org>