Date:      Mon, 15 Dec 1997 04:49:49 -0800
From:      Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Mini <j_mini@efn.org>, The Classiest Man Alive <ksmm@cybercom.net>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why so many steps to build new kernel?

Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com> stands accused of saying:

> We basically just need:
>
> 	o Buttons - pushbutton, radio, checkbox.
>
> 	o Scrolling list menus (or scrolling arrays of buttons,
> 	  however you want to conceptualize it)
>
> 	o Entry fields with reasonably emacs-like character editing
> 	  support.
>
> 	o Scrolling text boxes and simple text fields.
>
> 	o Checkbox / Radio
> 	o Gauges.
>
> 	o Compound dialogs.
>
> 	o Simple forms entry.

Here's a listing of the "native" objects, i.e. objects that are planeed to be
supported allready. With the exception of OBJ_PICT, there should be no problems
displaying ANY of them in a text mode :

OBJ_TEXT        text string
OBJ_PICT        image
OBJ_BARGRP      a horizontal or vertical bar of objects. Used for things like
                menu bars, status lines, etc, etc. (placement of objects can
                be resized and rearanged via drags & drops, if enabled)
OBJ_BOX         box. (outline [frame], or filled)
OBJ_BUTTON      button (emits an even when clicked on)
OBJ_CHECKGRP    group where any or all items can be selected.
OBJ_DIALOG      your basic dialog box.
OBJ_DROPBOX     one-line box with list of choices, drop-down menu will show
                all of them.
OBJ_EDITOR      basic editor. allows for single or multi-line text editing.
OBJ_FOLDERGRP   group of objects, where only one is displayed at a time,
                and each has a 'tab' that selects which one is displayed.
                (e.g. Win95's properties menus' layouts)
OBJ_FRAMEDIAG   hook for window manager - the frame around a dialog box.
OBJ_FRAMEMENU   hook for window manager - the frame around a menu.
OBJ_FRAMEPAL    hook for window manager - the frame around a floating palette.
OBJ_FRAMEWIN    hook for window manager - the frame around a window.
OBJ_GRIDGROUP   aligns children into a grid, where one or more may be selected.
                (e.g. for a toolbar)
OBJ_GROUP       basic group displays all objects as if independant, but placed
                relative to group's origin, and clipped to group's size.
OBJ_HISTORY     input line with a drop-down menu of past choices.
OBJ_HLINE       a horizontal line, used for many things.
OBJ_INPUT       one-line text input.
OBJ_LABEL       labels another object. (e.g. would label a entry box in a
                dialog box)
OBJ_RADIOGRP    group where only one item can be selected.
OBJ_RINGGRP     group of objects that share a display space by ordering
                themselves in a ring that can be rotated via grabbing the
                backdrop and dragging. (e.g. 3DS/Max's control system, and
                others)
OBJ_SCROLL      a scrolling group. used to encapulate large or dynamic sized
                objects. will optionally show horizontal and vertical scroll
                bars.
OBJ_SLIDEGRP    used to implement "slider" controls. display's it's children
for
                the range, (e.g. a OBJ_SL_TICK, OBJ_SL_FILL, OBJ_SL_NUM) and
                adds [optional] buttons for incrementing/decrementing the
                value. All slider's can be of two types : 'requested' and
                'actuall.' This allows for one indicator (for exameple, a
                OBJ_SL_FILL) to show te atual setting, while another (for
                example, a OBJ_SL_TICK) to show a requested value. This is
                useful for controlling things that take time to respond to a
                new setting.
OBJ_SL_TICK     a bar with a tick on it [draggable]
OBJ_SL_NUM      a number [editable]
OBJ_SL_FILL     a solid color fills full or empty side. [draggable]
OBJ_SL_UNION    stacks several on top of each other.

OBJ_TREEGRP     group where objects are listed in a [collapsable] tree.
OBJ_MENU        an actual menu
OBJ_MENUGRP     like OBJ_TREEGRP, but creates a popup/pulldown menu for each
                level of the tree, a la sub-menus.
OBJ_VALIDATOR   requires children be valid against a rule-set.
OBJ_VLINE       a vertical line, used for many things.
OBJ_WINDOW      an actual window

  If any don't make much sense, or you see something you thik is missing,
please let me know, and I'll (probably) be happy to add it.

--
Jonathan Mini 					Ingenious Productions
Software Development				P.O. Box 5693,

 "A child of five could understand this! Quick -- Fetch me a child of five."