Date:      Tue, 11 Apr 2006 04:50:35 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
To:        Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Needs suggestion for redundant Storage

On Mon, 2006-Apr-10 14:11:46 +0200, Michael Schuh wrote:
>so that i have sign a Solution with cheap HW, ok this cheap HW is not very
>stable and never so performant like the right Hardware, but if i use
>this solution,
>so i can relative fast replace defect items with new HW.

You probably can't replace defective hardware so fast that the users
don't notice.  They will probably also notice when a system crash
garbles the filesystem.

Based on your comments of low cost and massive size, I presume you
can't afford a proper backup solution either.  This is a recipe for
disaster if the data is valuable.

>> Do not get a Silicon Image SATA controller.
>Why not?

Read the mailing lists - they are full of problems with them.  If
you value your data you will not use Sil controller.

>> At the very least, get a multiport SATA RAID controller with a decent-sized
>> RAM cache of its own and an internal battery to keep the drives going until
>> that cache can be flushed.  As well as an external UPS, right...?
>>
>I can also agree with you.......but the management......get not my friends
>with this....... :-))

They will be even less your friends when your cheap-n-nasty solution
loses some valuable files.

--
Peter Jeremy