Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 23:45:27 +0100
From:      Olaf Hoyer <ohoyer@fbwi.fh-wilhelmshaven.de>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: thermal grease?

At 14:17 17.04.00 -0700, you wrote:
<snip>
>> Well, not that odd... Most of that part is used to put
>> between transistors
>> and their heatsink befor they are screwed together... So any
>> electronic
>> shop should carry that...
>> CPU is not that wide application field.
>>
>> But, unless you are running a very stressed CPU (24h/7day server use,
>> overclocked thingie or highest-end one like Athlon 1 GHz)
>> then in normal
>> cases you can leave out the thermal grease. Most coolers
>> nowadays have some
>> plastiv sheet under them that also helps in distributing the
>> energy from
>> CPU to cooler, and also prevents direct metal contact, which
>> is helpful in
>> case of power spikes...
>>
>> For real hard-core overclockers, there is special silver grease...
>
>I disagree.  You should ALWAYS use thermal grease.  It will result in a
>better, more reliable heat transfer area.  Overclocking or not.
>
>You can buy it off the web from just about anywhere that sells CPUs or heat
>sinks.  You can also get it at Radio Shack.  Maybe yours was out of stock.

Hi!

Well, of course it runs better with thermal grease applied, no question.
Of course it is more reliable, no doubt about that.

But it is common practice to leave that out in most low-end-user PCs, that
will only see some M$ OS and small stuff... (so no real stress)
The heatsinks placed on that machines suffice in most cases, having far
more heat dissipating capacity than the CPU is able to produce, so in most
cases it is sufficient.

Of course, if you use a real OS, that is really been  used, one should care
about overall reliability of all parts... ;-)

Regards
Olaf Hoyer

--------
Olaf Hoyer	 www.nightfire.de                mailto:Olaf.Hoyer@nightfire.de
FreeBSD- Turning PC's into workstations   ICQ:22838075

Liebe und Hass sind nicht blind, aber geblendet vom Feuer,
dass sie selber mit sich tragen. (Nietzsche)