Date:       1 Jul 99 03:05:18 PDT
From:      Jesus Monroy <jesus.monroy@usa.net>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [Re: pstat -k; pstat -n]

Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 29, 1999 at 12:51:45PM -0700, Jesus Monroy wrote:
> >   Both options for pstat(8) seem not =

> >   to function. Either option will return: =

> > =

> >   vidi: {121} pstat -k =

> >   usage: pstat [-Tfknstv] [-M core] [-N system] =

> >   vidi: {122} pstat -n =

> >   usage: pstat [-Tfknstv] [-M core] [-N system] =

> =

> Right, but wrong.  Both of those options should be run in conjunction
> with
> other options, as my cursory reading of the man page makes clear.  =

> Perhaps
> you skipped it in your haste to point out non-existant flaws?
> =

    Perhaps, but I note that this is not documented well in
    the man pages. That is, when a flags such as these
    are needed it is note that the flags work ONLY with
    others. =

    This is consistency make it difficult to get the right =

    answer. Basically, if you don't know, you have to guess.
    This then renders the man page next to useless for
    providing this information.

    To be explicitly clear, if a flag only works in
    conjunction with other flags IT SHOULD SAY SO
    in the man pages.  The man pages are there to =

    help with the correct answer. Aren't they?

    I know I've seen some man pages do it correctly,
    I just can recall which.    =

> >   As a seperate question, I see this quite often. =

> =

> Perhaps not as often as you think.
> =

    I've always hoped for that.

> >   What is the issue? Aren't the writers of =

> >   these utils making changes to the man pages? =

> =

> Yes they are, by and large.  Sometimes they forget, and we try and > re=
mind
> them.  Reading the cvs-all mailing list for any length of time should =

> show this.
> =

    No, don't have time for cvs-anything. Am taxed as it is.
    But why would I look in the CVS anyway?
    This is about documentation, not version control.

> >   Are they supposed to make the changes? =

> =

> Yes.
> =

> >   If not, who is responsible for these changes? =

> =

> People that notice problems.  Either by sending a PR, or, if they're a =

> committer themselves, taking it up with the last person to change that
> utility, confirming that it was an oversight, and fixing the problem.
> =

    Yes, that is what I had surmised.
    Can I quote you on this?

    BTW, thank you for concise clear answer. I'll try to do the same.

---
"I'd rather pay for my freedom than live in a bitmapped, =

pop-up-happy dungeon like NT."
http://www.performancecomputing.com/features/9809of1.shtml