Date:      Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:06:41 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Robin P. Blanchard" <Robin_Blanchard@gactr.uga.edu>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dell 4350 SMP faults

     Robin's tried everything except replacing the machine entirely.

     I wonder... is there anyone else on -stable running FreeBSD on
     a DELL 4350 w/ SMP?

						-Matt

:I'm sure Matt's pretty busy right now with the release of 4.5 so I'm
:sending this to the list to see if anyone else may have any ideas.
:
:Background:
:Dell 4350, dual p3-600 -- before FreeBSD was an NT 4.0 app/dbase server
:(also as SMP). First installed 4.4 STABLE on it back in october or
:november. As a uniprocessor box it runs without a hitch (relatively no
:load, no swapping, etc). As an SMP box, it *randomly* hangs. Matt had me
:remove gigE support and other superfluous kernel options all to no
:avail. Last guess was RAM. I tested all three sticks individually
:yesterday. I suppose it's possible that all three are bad but that
:probability is most likely extremely low. The box is based on 4.5-RC
:from Sunday morning. Here's the gdb output from all three hangs. Maybe
:it jogs someone's brain.
:...
:
:Thanks in advance.