Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:59:33 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@starjuice.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Internal hosts communicating with external addresses through firewall

Hi folks,

I've been using IPFW with one of ipnat and natd for a while, but have
never managed to figure out what it takes to allow internal hosts (with
private addresses NAT'd to public addresses with a 1:1 mapping) to
communicate with each other using their public addresses?

For example, take these two hosts:

		Public address (hostname)	Private address
Web server:	w.x.y.z (www.example.com)	10.0.0.100
Dev server:	s.t.u.v (dev.example.com)	10.0.0.101

I'd like to run an HTML link checking program on 10.0.0.101 and point it
at www.example.com.  I can't just point it at 10.0.0.100, because the
link checking will break horribly.  At the moment, I have to use an
/etc/hosts entry on the dev server.

Can this be done?  If so, is there more to it than just firewall rules?

The obvious idea of just using IPFW log on my deny rule to see where
things are going wrong doesn't seem feasible, because this would
generate a HUGE amount of logging information, even for a few minutes.

Ciao,
Sheldon.