Date:      Mon, 04 Feb 2002 22:31:09 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <mckay@thehub.com.au>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@ns.sol.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG, mckay@thehub.com.au
Subject:   Re: Luigi's polling code and 4.5R

On Thursday, 31st January 2002, Joe Greco wrote:

>I just installed a FreeBSD 4.5R router yesterday, and wanted to play with
>the polling stuff.  A nice 16-port router with 4 x DFE 570 cards in it...
>
>The fxp file didn't patch cleanly, but I don't use fxp, and it looked like
>I could safely just move the original file back in place.
>
>I compiled, installed, rebooted.  Upon setting kern.polling.enable to 1,
>the system went net-deaf, with a bunch of
>
>dc0: watchdog timeout
>dc4: watchdog timeout
>dc5: watchdog timeout
>
>every few seconds.

I have a similar problem with my dual-use stable/current box.  When I
run 4.5-stable, the dc driver works fine (with a DE500 card).

The same machine when running a fairly recent -current fails to achieve
link, and gives some "dc0: watchdog timeout" messages.  I did not enable
polling.

I was going to track this down eventually, but if Luigi is planning on
merging the polling code, this should be fixed first.  I'll try a dc driver
from before all the polling changes to see if that brings the card to life.

Stephen.