Date:      Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:21:40 +0200
From:      Max Laier <max@love2party.net>
To:        RJ45 <rj45@slacknet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problems with PF

--Boundary-02=_rpWCBsenbvbZvc9

On Thursday 29 July 2004 22:57, RJ45 wrote:
> hello,
> I configured PF for natting machines on my LAN
> using FreeBSD as ADSL gateway.
>
> I just write a simple rule
> nat on tun0 from 172.16.16.0/24 to any -> (tun0)
					    ^^^^^^

> but NAT does not work, packets are blocked.
>
> ip forwarding is enabled
>
> using ipfilter works and packets are natted succesfully with a simple rule
> the same as before:
>
> map tun0 172.16.16.0/24 -> tun0/32
>

> I am using PF on OpenBSD since the first time it was released
> so I Am sure it is not a problem of my configuration (After all more
> than very simple)
> using PF on FreeBSD I noticed simply packets are not NATted.

Well they are, but to a wrong address or no address at all, depending on th=
e=20
state of tun0 upon loading the ruleset.

> I have to say I am using it on sparc64 FreeBSD 5.2.1 on ultra 60.
>
> anyone has some hints ?

Have you applied the dynamic address patches?
# cd /usr/ports/security/pf && make extract && cd work/pf_freebsd_2.03/patc=
hes
# less README
for details. Unless you did so, the "(ifname)" syntax will not work on 5.2.=
1R.=20
As a workaround you can place a #pfctl -f <pf.conf> in your linkup script.=
=20
Other than that, you might want to try a recent -current snapshot in order =
to=20
build 3.5 pf (the port is still as of 3.4) out of the box. There you have a=
ll=20
the fancy interface handling that comes with 3.5 (including dynamic address=
es=20
of course) and additionally there is ALTQ ;) Patches for hme(4) from Pyun=20
YongHyeon are on http://people.freebsd.org/~mlaier/ALTQ_driver/ other drive=
r=20
patches upon request.
sparc64 should not be a problem for pf in general.

> maybe on i386 works who knows ?

Not with the dynamic address syntax, no.

=2D-=20
/"\  Best regards,			| mlaier@freebsd.org
\ /  Max Laier				| ICQ #67774661
 X   http://pf4freebsd.love2party.net/	| mlaier@EFnet
/ \  ASCII Ribbon Campaign		| Against HTML Mail and News