Date:      Fri, 17 Nov 2000 11:01:29 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Ken Key <key@network-alchemy.com>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can pc to pc communicate thru wireless LAN cards?

> Cool!  What's your antenna arrangement to get that range?  A custom
> yagi?  I've got a 2-mile clear line of sight I'd love to cover.

My ISP (which does wireless) has a customer doing 8 miles, with the
customer end with a custom antenna (sorry, no name, but it looks like a
traditional 'microwave' dish you see on top of towers, but it's made of
heavy aluminun mesh), and the 'ISP' end is a omni-directional antenna.

I'm about 3/4 mile from the omni, and I get great reception.  I'm pretty
pleased with the performance, although during a heavy snow-storm it may
have crapped out.  (Either that or they were messing with it, since it
worked fine during the early part of the storm, then crapped out a bit
in the middle of the night during my CVSup.)

Nate