Date:      Sun, 21 Apr 2002 16:53:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Supervisor auf MAIL <root@mail.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   PS trouble/TRAY select/magicfilter/HP LJ4500

Dear Sirs.

I have a lot of trouble getting a HP C-LJ4500
colour printer to work correctly.

More than two years ago we set up a printer farm
with HP JetDirect 500X printservers which are
maintained and delivered by a FreeBSD 4.X-STABLE
box. Filtering was done by 'magicfilter' with a
great success.

Since we switched from FreeBSD 4.3 to 4.4 we have
trouble. At this moment FreeBSD 4.5-STABLE as
cvsupdated last time the 13th April and a renewal
of
all relevant ports (a2ps, psutils, magicfilter,
etc.) of the same time. I think it has nothing to
do with the operating system but I would like to
mention this curious behaviour I watched since we
changed. I think there is a issue of changes in
psset which is used by magicfilter, and a general
problem with the HP4500, I guess.

The HP 4500 has two trays, one with a small
capacity used for transparencies, one with 500
sheet capacity (tray number 3) for plain A4
paper.

In its appropriate setup file this printerqueue
(lj4500cf) has this two relevant entries which
seem to do the weird stuff:

0       %!              filter
/usr/local/bin/psset -q
--setpagedevice="MediaType:(Transparency)"
0       \004%!          filter
/usr/local/bin/psset -q
--setpagedevice="MediaType:(Transparency)"

This works, also works is MediaPosition:0 but both
options won't work if I offer the additional psset
option '-n' which means that no fixing is done
(some documents of our department run out of
memory when printed due to the fact they are
hughe).

I did the tests with the Adobe tiger.ps file taken
from the ghostscript port. Applying the '-n'
option prevents this file from beeing printed on
the desired transparency, instead I get a plain
paper. Doing a 'ls|lpr -Plj4500cf' on the console
with the '-n' option eneabled in the printer's
filtersetup file offers me a transparency print
result, but I can not print the tiger.ps by typing
'lpr -Plj4500cf tiger.ps'. There are many other
files which get messed that way.

To figure out what happens I removed the plain
paper tray to see whether the printer tries to
select the transparency box, but it didn't. It
wants me to put manually plain paper in tray 1
(manual feed tray), it never touches tray 2
(transparency). What's going on? There is no
statement in 'tiger.ps' that says: printer, print
this on plain or letter, but never on
transparencies!

Does anyone have any glue?

For those who are firm in using postscript: how to
FORCE the printer using the transparency tray
without offering the psset's '-n' option? What is
going on with those 'fixes', eating up all the
memory and what is psset fixing in tiger.ps to
make this file be printable on transparencies?

Please help!

Thanks,
Oliver