Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 13:39:28 -0500
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        Doug Young <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SENDMAIL Configuration

On Sat, Feb 05, 2000 at 02:00:36PM +1000, Doug Young wrote:
> I'm trying to configure "sendmail 8.9.3" in FreeBSD3.2,  and I'm a bit
> confused about just how to do a few things. The FreeBSD box is a
> gateway
> for a LAN ... permanent dialup modem connection to the net
>
> Firstly,  "sendmail.cw" & "relay-domains"
>
> I understand that sendmail.cw is where you are supposed to list domain
> names
> that you want sendmail to accept mail for, so since I want
> bryden.apana.org.au
> to accept mail for all my LAN machines I made up a "sendmail.gw" file
> as follows
>
> +++++++++++++++++++++
> bryden.apana.org.au
> oracle.apana.org.au
> dougy.apana.org.au
> roadrunner.apana.org.au
> jdy.apana.org.au
> matey.apana.org.au
> +++++++++++++++++++++

If you are collectiong mail for the entire apana.org.au domain,
perhaps a mailertable is better for you. It would contain,

  apana.org	local:
  .apana.org	local:

And you would cover all hosts in the domain.

> Furthermore I've been told that "relay-domains contains domain names
> of all
> machines you want to allow relaying for.  You would probably list all
> your
> other machines here."
>
> I read that as meaning I should just list all local machines, so I
> made
> up a "relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file to
> "relay-domains"

Does that work properly?

> Secondly, I tried running the following
>
> makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable
> makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access
>
> Got "No such file or directory", so I created a new empty file
> "/etc/mail/virtusertable" ... and ran that first thing again .....

Huh? Created an empty /etc/mail/virtusertable? That file needs to hold
your virtual user table to be processed. You seem to be trying to
creat a virtuserable from nothing.

> this time I got a different response
> "/etc/mail/virtusertable.db: line 1: syntax error (leading space)"
>
> Looks like I've gotta put something in that "virtusertable" file but
> what ??

Try,

  % cd /usr/src/contrib/sendmail/cf
  % more README

Also, these are sendmail questions that are not at all FreeBSD
specific. You might want to try sendmail resources,

   http://www.sendmail.org

   comp.mail.sendmail

[snip]