Date:      Mon, 24 Jun 1996 16:20:57 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Building inside of /usr/src?

While I think the new cleanup of the obj handling is great, it appears that
it's now impossible to build things *inside* of the /usr/obj tree now?

How does one build stuff inside of the current directory using the
current mk macros?  I leave /usr/obj (and the symlinks) populated with the most
recent sources on my development box, so I don't have to re-build everything on
updates.  Then, when I do local hacking I 'mv obj obj_off' and do all my
hacking knowing that I won't mess up my 'normal' obj files, and then after
I finish I do a 'cvs update; make cleandir; mv obj_off obj' and I'm back to
where I was before I started.

Is this still possible?  How does make handle things for non-system source
such as ports which don't have (and shouldn't have) obj directories?

Nate