Date:      Wed, 03 Apr 2002 23:12:34 -0800
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        pjklist@ekahuna.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installworld/buildworld issues, and non-root user

Philip J. Koenig wrote:

> I went to update a 4.3-STABLE box to 4.5-STABLE.  Things seemed to go
> OK for cvsup (after cvsup version upgrade), buildworld, buildkernel,
> installkernel.  When I went to installworld (in single-user mode), I
> got a stop in /usr/src, there was a complaint about a permission
> problem (expected 755, got 700, or vice-versa), and a complaint that
> "user sewss doesn't exist". (I may have the exact spelling wrong,
> this is from memory)
>
> I looked in the referenced file (I think it was BSD.include.dist) and
> it indeed specified this weird username.
>
> So my first question is what is going on here, and my second question
> is that in the course of looking at this I discovered that neither
> /usr/src or /usr/obj are flagged as writable by the 'wheel' group,
> but I was certain I was able in the past to buildworld/buildkernel by
> a regular user (member of the 'wheel' group) and not root.  Was I
> dreaming?

You are asking the wrong list. This question has been answered perhaps
as often as several times a day for some time now. You have to add the
users

smmsp:*:25:
mailnull:*:26:

To both /etc/group and /etc/passwd. I didn't include the passwd entry
because it wraps. Check the -stable archive for exact passwd entries.
The are also probably in /usr/src/etc/master.passwd

Kent

--
Kent Stewart
Richland, WA