Date:      Tue, 17 Mar 1998 15:28:06 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        molter@logic.it, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sendmail going commercial, and ?

On 17-Mar-98 Jonathan M. Bresler wrote:
> Simon Shapiro wrote:
>>
>> Thanx.  I think sendmail is worth studying.  Itis typical Unix thing.
>> The
>> original set of goals was never fully studied (the let's hack code
>> first.
>> Ask why later).  The design happened along the way (efficiency,
>> security,
>> scalability, and lack thereof).  To add insult to injury, the
>> configuration
>> ``language'' was optimized for the machine, not for the human, totally
>> missing the purpose of computers and sooftware (to serve us mortals).
>
>       that's not really fair.   sendmail was created under
>       conditions very different from our own.  considering
>       the change that its seen, it holds up very well.

While your comments are generally valid, sendmail was ugly even then.
It holds up because it has the capability to do all the things a Unix MTA
needs to do, inertia, and lack of something else.

>       please remember that in 1981 a vax 11/750 with rk-07
>       disk drives and 512MB of memory was a BIG deal and
>       significant cost.  wasnt 1 SpecInt originally supposed to
>       approximate a single vax (dont pick nits ;)

We used to call it MIPS, and for many years it was alleged that a vax 780
(not the whimpy 750 - had one of those - yuck!) is worth 1 MIPS.  Someone
ran SpecInt on one and found it really is worth only 0.5 MIPS.
Architectually that was a beutiful little computer.  Better than any PC,
Intel processor, or whatever.

>       the box that i am using now overpowers that vax.

By many orders, I am sure, although your relative I/O bandwidth (and even
relative memory bandwidth) are much slower.