Date:      Sun, 18 Jul 1999 11:40:52 -0700
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Tim Baird <tim@storm.digital-rain.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: poor ethernet performance?

Tim Baird wrote:

> I hope everyone is benefitting by these simple facts....

	*chuckle* "Simple facts.." You sound like my physics professor. I for one
am benefitting very much from the discussion. I got hired at my current job
as a software person, but I have a background in hardware so I try and make
it into the NOC every excuse I get (promotability, don't you know). It
always helps if sound like I have a vague idea what I'm talking about. :)

	I just made up my first ethernet cables the other day, and learned an
interesting tidbit that I'm sure is beyond elementary to most of you, but
may benefit someone else. What I was told is that the reason Cat 5 cable is
so much more efficient is that each of the 4 pairs of wire is twisted at a
different rate. This helps reduce the possibility of frequency
synchronization for the EM fields the pairs create.

Soaking it in,

Doug