Date:      Fri, 13 Aug 1999 09:21:19 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        "Brooks, Reginald P." <BrooksRP@PWCPEARL.NAVY.MIL>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

On Thu 1999-08-12 (19:03), Brooks, Reginald P. wrote:
> I have been hearing a little about FreeBSD so I decided to give it try. I
> visited your home page and tried to figure out how to download the OS. Your
> instructions lead from ftp to ftp with list upon list of files to download
> but I could not identify any file that appeared to actually contain the
> basic OS or kernal.

On the front page:

Easy to install

   FreeBSD can be installed from a variety of media including CD-ROM,
   floppy disk, magnetic tape, an MS-DOS partition, or if you have a
   network connection, you can install it directly over anonymous FTP
   or NFS. All you need is pair of blank, 1.44MB floppies and these
   directions.

The link there leads to a detailed description of the installation
process, including the downloading of specific files for boot floppies,
&c.

> For example.  If I am on the following page,
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/FreeBSD-stable which file or files
> would I download and install to provide the basic OS?  Your assistance
> will be greatly appreciated.

You should probably consider reading the FreeBSD handbook (which is at
http://freebsd.org/handbook/, and amply linked on the web page) and
consult the FAQ (at http://freebsd.org/FAQ/) before trying to install.

Neil
--