Date:      Thu, 4 Apr 2002 08:14:47 +0100 (BST)
From:      =?iso-8859-1?q?Matt=20Sykes?= <mattmsykes@yahoo.co.uk>
To:        Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: some newbie questions

 --- Rohit Panda <prohit99@yahoo.com> wrote: > hi,
> i have some few basic newbie questions.
> 1. how to receive telnet connection from other
> computers in the n/w.

Uncomment the 'telnet' line in /etc/inetd.conf, and in rc.conf make
sure you have

inetd_enable="YES"

But there's No Good Reason to use telnet (which comes to mind).  Look
into ssh.

> 2.why dosent the the tab (for command completion )
> work for normal users.i have the user in the wheel
> group.

Hmm I'm not sure.  Is the user's shell tcsh or some other
tab-completing shell?  To change the user's shell, type 'chsh
username'.  Did someone disable completion in /etc/csh.login or
/etc/csh.cshrc?

Just so you know, a 'normal user' shouldn't be in the wheel group.
The wheel group is for administrators; being in this group gives the
user the right to su to root.

> 3.while installation i missed out i suppose to give an
> ip address to the ethernet interface.so i have to
> always set it manually using ifconfig.how do i set it
> once and for all.

In my /etc/rc.conf I have

defaultrouter="192.168.1.1"
ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.1.103 netmask 255.255.255.0"

which does the job for me.  xl0 is my crappy 3Com card; you may have a
different one.

There's a file called /etc/defaults/rc.conf which sets default values
of parameters which you can override in /etc/rc.conf.  It also explains
each parameter.  Sadly this "inside scoop" on /etc/defaults/rc.conf is
somehow not conveyed to FreeBSD newcomers; as I remember it was a
couple weeks before I discovered it.

--Matt