Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 11:55:53 -0500
From:      Martin McCormick <martin@dc.cis.okstate.edu>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Secure Shell ssh-1.2.27 is Almost Right but not quite.

	I wrote to this group on the thirteenth of June and
asked about installing ssh-1.2.27.  I was informed that this was
not necessary as there is a good port of ssh and sshd all ready
to go in freebsd.  After getting past that little bit of
ignorance on my part, I found that to be true and also that the
ssh version supports both the ssh-1 and ssh-2 protocols.  In
other words, it is really neat.

	I now have a .shosts file in my home directory on the
freebsd system and /etc/ssh/shosts.equiv identifying the remote
system I am communicating with.

	I can go from the remote system to the freebsd box
without a password after installing the key in known_hosts, of
course, but I still can't ssh from the freebsd box to anywhere
else without having to enter a password.  Here is the output from
the ssh -v command.  I hope somebody might find this familiar as
I have stared at it so long, I may be missing something obvious.
Debug output follows:

SSH Version OpenSSH_2.3.0 green@FreeBSD.org 20010321, protocol versions 1.5/2.0.
Compiled with SSL (0x0090600f).
debug: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug: ssh_connect: getuid 1234 geteuid 1234 anon 1
debug: Connecting to remote.system.okstate.edu [139.78.x.x] port 22.
debug: Connection established.
debug: Remote protocol version 1.5, remote software version 1.2.27
debug: no match: 1.2.27
debug: Local version string SSH-1.5-OpenSSH_2.3.0 green@FreeBSD.org 20010321
debug: Waiting for server public key.
debug: Received server public key (768 bits) and host key (1024 bits).
debug: Host 'remote.system.okstate.edu' is known and matches the RSA host key.
debug: Encryption type: 3des
debug: Sent encrypted session key.
debug: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug: Received encrypted confirmation.

-------------

	Here is where it seems to not be quite right.

--------
debug: Doing password authentication.

	At that point, one gets a login which works fine after
entering the password.

	The ssh-1.2.27 systems use "idea" as the encryption
technique when they talk to each other instead of 3des but I am
not sure if that matters so long as both systems agree on the
same type.

Martin McCormick WB5AGZ  Stillwater, OK
OSU Center for Computing and Information Services Data Communications Group