Date:      Fri, 6 Mar 1998 15:20:03 +0100 (CET)
From:      Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Merit Radius and password changing

Hi!

I have several questions concerning Merit Radius v. 3.5.6:

* I want Radius to use its 'users' database only to authenticate users
(not unix passwords). But I don't want to store plaintext passwords there.
Is there any option to store encrypted passwords in 'users' file?

* I also want to allow users to change their passwords (remember, they are
not Unix passwords, so this is not going to be passwd(1)). How can I do
this without manually editing 'users' file and restarting server?

* What's more, I want to do this using DBM version of the server (and I
don't want to run 'builddbm' each time; besides, I think the 'radpass'
example program will change only the memory cached version of user's
password, and the version in 'users' file will remain unchanged, and when
the daemon restarts it will read in the old password, right? But
(obviously) I want the change to be permanent :-))

Any suggestions, please? Or explanations why I'm wrong... :-)

Andrzej Bialecki