Date:      Sat, 26 Feb 2000 06:58:25 -0800
From:      "John Purser" <johnmpurser@home.com>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Apache error message: httpd: could not open document config file

Hello troops!

As you recall, last week's battle to get my FreeBSD box hooked up to the
internet was a success!  Many thanks to all those who helped! :-)

This weekend yer ever luvin' pal Sgt. "Rock" Newbie is going mano a mano
with Apache.  Current Status: getting tail kicked.  Here's what I've got so
far.

I'm running FreeBSD 3.4 from a CD install.  Apache 1.3 was selected at
install and it does seem to be installed.  I've found the executables and
the config files.  For intel on the enemy I'm using "Apache The Definitive
Guide" provided by our crack G3 officer Col. O'Reilly.

I tried creating a directory /usr/www/sites/toddle with three subdirectories
./conf, ./htdoc, ./logs.  I copied the file httpd.conf to ./conf and edited
it for user name and group name.  Per the instructions in the book I cd'd to
/usr/www/sites/toddle and as root I tried to start apache with the
invocation: httpd -d /usr/www/sites/toddle.  I get an error message back
that says:

fopen: No such file or directory
httpd: could not open document config file
/usr/www/sites/toddle/etc/apache/httpd.conf

I could create this directory and move the config files to it but I'd rather
understand why the book instructions don't work first.  I tried renaming the
*.conf files in /usr/local/etc/apache but that didn't seem to have any
effect.  I'd really like to get my configuration to the point where I can
follow the book's instructions.  Any help appreciated.

John Purser